Job Summary: As a Rolling Machine Operator, your role will entail the setup, operate, or attend machines to roll steel forming bends, rolls, cones, or plate. You will also monitor machine cycles and mill operation to detect jamming and to ensure that products conform to the required dimensional specifications.
Projects will cover a range of steel structures across the marine, renewables and oil & gas sectors and the role will require flexibility between new-build structural steel fabrication or ship repair projects.
- Interpret engineering drawings to determine the materials required and to plan the order of tasks.
- Read Rolling orders and mill schedules to determine setup specifications, work sequences, product dimensions, and installation procedures.
- Adjust and correct machine set-ups to reduce thicknesses, reshape products, and eliminate product defects.
- Start operation of rolling and milling machines to roll and form steel plates.
- Thread or feed sheets or rods through rolling mechanisms or start and control mechanisms that automatically feed steel into rollers.
- Manipulate controls and observe dial indicators to monitor, adjust, and regulate speeds of machine mechanisms.
- Examine, inspect, and measure materials and finished products to verify conformance to the required specification.
- Set up and operate various heavy-duty metalworking machines such as hydraulic presses, rolls and shears.
- Following established rules and procedures.
- Carrying out mandatory safety checks on the machinery.
- Experienced Steelworker or fabricator either in a shipyard or similar field activity where structural fabrication was undertaken.
- Basic knowledge of welding processes.
- Understanding of engineering drawings and technical documentation.
- Experience of steel, burning, welding, forming, bending and fabricating processes and techniques.
- Knowledge of workplace safety.
- The ability to work independently according to valid instructions, rules, and other standards.
- Competitive base pay
- 31 days holiday
- Company pension
- Enhanced overtime
To apply for this role please contact email@example.com