Our 81 acre shipyard was purposely developed to be able to take some of the world’s largest vessels. It offers two of the largest drydocks in Europe along with vast facilities that allow us to be agile and responsive.
Our two iconic yellow ‘Goliath’ type gantry cranes are permanent features of our yard.
Our impressive site is situated in the Port of Belfast, Northern Ireland. Europe’s largest drydocks are ideally situated between the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea. We are well served by two local international airports and seaports.
Dock size: 556m x 93m Draft: 8.41m depth of water over sill at MHWS
- Two ‘Goliath’ type gantry cranes
- Span: 140m
- Lifting height: 70m and 80m
- Safe working load: 840t and 900t
- Two 60t @ 25m Henson
- One 9t @ 40m Stothert & Pitt
- Intermediate dock gate which can be placed at predetermined locations along the length of dock allowing a part wet, part dry arrangement.
- Over 300,000m2 of hard standing ground
- No tidal restrictions for Port entry
- Support of ship repair facility on site
Samson is the larger of our twin gantry cranes and was completed in 1974 and stands 106 metres (348ft) tall.
Goliath was completed in 1969 and stands 96 metres (315 ft) tall – the smaller of the two cranes sits slightly further inland closer to Belfast City.
Fabrication & Block Facility
- Over 30,000m2 covered fabrication halls
Musgrave Blocking Shop
- Overall area: 8,976m2
- Doors: electrically operated sliding panels 40m w x 18m h, sliding panel 12m w x 12m h
Musgrave Fabrication Shop
Overall area: 8,774m
Doors: 1 off 18.8m w x 11.5m h
3 off 12m w x 8m h
- 200t growing line
- 6 x ESAB Sub-Arc Welding Tractors
- 2 x 7.6m x 4.3m Oerlikon C&B 4 wire manipulators
Plate Forming Shop
Overall area: 5,096m2
- Messer Griesheim 2 Axis CNC cutting machine (8.53m x 35m)
- Hypertherm Plasma HPR260
- DAVI MCB 3060 drop end 4 roll track bending machine
- Guided crosshead gap press (ring frame press) 700te, forming length 2.75m (usable 2.5m)
- Gap Press 100te, forming length 2.75m core
- Statosec burner
- Multisec burner
Structural steel 100-250t per week capacity Miscellaneous steel 30-75t per week capacity
Painting and Blasting Cells
- Over 2,500m2 environmentally controlled painting and blasting cells adjacent to the Main Dock.
- 2 semi permanent blast and paint halls located at the head of the main dock. Can be single hall of length 70m or split into two halls of 35m and 35m accessed via removable rub roofs by gantry crane.
- 2 permanent blast and paint halls located adjacent to the Main Dock.
Dock size: 335m x 50.29m Draft: 12.3m depth of water over sill at MHWS
- Two 40t @ 24.3m Henson Cranes
- One 80t @ 38m Henson Crane
- 1500m3 slops reception
- Licensed for open grit blasting
- Fully self-sufficient site with own offices amenities and workshops
Six section intermediate gate Licensed for the repair of vessels Extensive dockside facilities including project/client offices and conference rooms up to 160 persons and amenities for up to 1000 workers (4 x 250 person blocks).
GEORGE BEST BELFAST CITY AIRPORT
Our site has two international airports on its doorstep, with George Best Belfast City airport just a 5 minute drive away and Belfast International Airport under 30 minutes away.
- 6 miles to end of Victoria Channel
- Victoria Channel dimensions
- Water depth: Maintained depth of minimum 9.1m (relative to harbour datum)
- Width: 152.4m
- Height: There are no lock, bridges or other height restrictions to open water.
- Tidal range: 3.5m
- 24/7 site security
- ISPS Approved
Chris McNally, our Facilities Manager is responsible for managing our yard’s facilities.