As the Project Accountant you will report to the Group Financial Controller and you will liaise with all functions within the business to ensure successful delivery of the project. Primary duties will include, but will not be restricted to, the following
Reporting To: Group Financial Controller
Role and Responsibilities
- Correct set up of Project Accounts within the IFS ERP system and any support systems at inception of each project, including correct allocation of Cost Baseline Budgets, Margins, Revenue and cash plans in line with approved budget.
- Agree with the Group Financial Controller relevant Group accounting standards and principles applicable to each project including IFRS15
- Report to the Group Financial Controller and the SMT the business revenue & cash milestones; budgeted and forecast dates; anticipate and report risks that might create delay to these milestones; propose corrective actions to assist the project team to complete on time.
- Prepare accurate project cash inflows and outflows for the project.
- Work closely with the Project Control function to ensure all costs are correctly and accurately captured in the project PRIMAVERA tool.
- Monitor monthly actual costs and investigate and rectify any discrepancies on time for Project Management Reviews (PMRs).
- Review supplier requisitions with procurement team and ensure requisitions and Purchase Orders are in line with project budgets and correctly reported.
- Attend regular project reviews and ensure estimated cost to go is in line with project schedule and challenge any deviations to cost budget baselines or where cost to go does not support project schedule. Ensure Costs to Go, actual costs and EAC are correctly and accurately reported in EAC sheets and the project dashboard.
- Understand the risks on the project and propose mitigation actions; ensure risks are correctly reported and controlled.
- Analysis of variances are documented and reported.
- Understand opportunities for cost savings on the projects; encourage the project teams to highlight opportunities. Assist in quantifying and correct reporting of identified opportunities.
- Prepare each month a project dashboard with relevant comments and robust explanation of the project financial position incl. any deviations on budgets.
- Presentation the financial status of project at project reviews.
- Ensure each project goes through an EAC review at least on a monthly basis and advise to management if project EAC should be reviewed more frequently.
- Produce in a timely and accurate fashion monthly financial figures and reports for the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting requirements are met.
- Manage foreign currency on projects and bids.
- Support the Group Financial Controller during ad-hoc tasks and activities.
- Regular housekeeping within ERP and other systems (project closures; update of key members and projects dates)
- ACA/ACCA/CIMA or a similar qualification
- 2 + years post qualification experience within shipbuilding or construction environment
- Previous Project Accounting experience ideally within a construction environment.
- Excellent understanding of accounting processes and the need for appropriate controls in place.
- Demonstrable experience in the use of accounting software such as IFS or similar ERP software for projects
- Practical experience in the use of Data Analytics tools.
- Proficient in the use of Excel and PowerPoint
- 5 years’ experience post qualification within a shipbuilding or construction
- Experience of working with IFS
High attention to detail and accuracy
Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision and to tight deadlines
Change & Innovation
Promotes and encourages innovative ways of working
Ability to contribute to change requirements of the team.
Communicating & Influencing
Promotes and encourages a culture of openness and transparency
Demonstrates credibility and makes a strong impression
Customer Relationship Management
Passion for excellent customer focus
Manage stakeholder expectations and keep them updates as required.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Promotes and encourages the use of collaboration across the organisation.
Contributes to the strategic plan for the department.
Able to engage with other departments in a collaborative manner.
How to apply
- To apply, please send all CVs, no later than to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harland & Wolff is an Equal Opportunities employer.