Reporting to the Head of Engineering we are looking to recruit a Naval Architect to join our team in Belfast. The purpose of the role will be to undertake project work and oversee technical performance, including engineering, design and analysis in support of the company’s project execution targets across Cruise & Ferry, Commercial Marine, Defence, Renewables and Oil & Gas markets. This will be a key role for the naval architecture capability of the engineering department and will include a significant client facing aspect.
Role and Responsibilities
- Undertake structural design calculations and lifting studies, including hand-calculations, and (with assistance from a draughtsperson) drawings to class requirements in support of vessel design, vessel upgrades and modifications.
- Review, technically assess and comment upon structural design proposals received from third parties.
- Engage with clients, capture and interpret their requirements, prepare and submit bid documents and deliver projects to fulfil the client’s expectations on time and on budget.
- Close co-operation with detail design group to ensure production engineering outputs are technically aligned with the design intent.
- Conduct design review meetings to assure that technical objectives are being achieved.
- Ensure that all work is performed, checked and approved in accordance with the company’s Quality Management System.
- Preparation of specifications/scopes of work for repair, modifications, conversion pr new build projects. These specifications must be robust and must not allow significant price variation due to lack of precision.
- Ensure that works carried out on board vessels are carried out to best industry and statutory standards in a safe and cost-effective manner and according to drawings and specifications.
- Assist the Sales / Bid / Commercial teams in preparation of any bid documents and proposals that require technical input and/or cost estimates.
- Liaise with external and internal customers, regulatory bodies and suppliers
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities & processes throughout the Belfast site
- Act as a Mentor to junior engineers, graduate trainees and internship students
- BEng (Hons), MEng or MSc (or equivalent) in Structural Engineering, Ship Science, Naval Architecture or other relevant subject (minimum Class 2:1/Distinction (or equivalent);
- A solid marine structures background with 15+ years professional experience including the ability to understand clients’ requirements, formulate the methods to be adopted in determining an optimum solution and implementation in line with the quality standards and time/budget constraints.
- Proficient in application and use of specialist software for ship design and analysis tools e.g., NAPA, Seasafe Navcad, Seasam Genie, LR ShipRight, Ansys or similar
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Project, Word
- Proficient in use of Aveva Marine “Drafting” software or other general drafting tool such as AutoCAD
- Experience of conceptual merchant ship design, including, layout and budget estimation;
- Experience in planning and execution of ship construction, maintenance and modernisation processes
- Implementation of Classification Society and IMO rules and regulations
- Demonstrable experience of involvement in third party Design Review processes
- Demonstrable leadership experience in offshore / new build orientated projects including management of sub-contract design agency staff
- Proficient in use of Aveva Marine/PDMS 3D CAD modelling software
- Time served in a shipyard or similar field activity where marine design was undertaken
- Military / naval / Offshore project experience
- Operational or field experience
How to apply
- To apply, please send all CVs, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harland & Wolff is an Equal Opportunities employer