Please note: This position requires a Level 2 in Engineering Operations if you do not have this you will complete its prior to level 3. Please see the attached Level 2 Engineering Operations Job Description for details.
The Apprenticeship Supervisor and Manager
Manufacturing anything that can be fabricated out of metal in order to support production at Harland & Wolff.
What will you learn doing this apprenticeship:
- Gain hands-on experience through a safe workplace placement, providing vocational training and education.
- Practical on the job training.
- One-to-one dedicated mentoring.
- Shipyard training facilities.
- Opportunity to earn while you learn.
- You will attend college as timetabled.
- Work safely at all times complying with health and safety legislation, regulations, organisational and environmental
- Learn how to plan and prepare for the metal fabrication activities before commencing work.
- Developing the ability to check materials conform to the specified grades, dimensions and thicknesses identified on detailed engineering drawings.
- Learn how to use the correct methods for the moving and handling resources and materials.
- Develop the ability to set up, check and adjust the equipment for use in the safe and reliable fabrication of metal products or components and maintaining the equipment in a reliable and safe condition throughout.
- Learn how to interpret technical drawings, patterns, templates and specifications to mark out, produce and assemble complex fabricated products to meet the required specification and quality requirements.
- Develop the ability to use appropriate tools, equipment and techniques to shape and form (hot or cold) metal materials,
demonstrating and applying knowledge of material properties and characteristics throughout.
- Learn how to monitor resources and activities throughout the fabrication of products or components, identifying areas for
improving the production process where possible.
- Develop the ability in cutting, drilling, shaping and preparing metal materials during fabrication activities using manual
and power tools, thermal and laser cutting, as required calculating dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of
mathematics and instruments/equipment.
- Develop the ability to operate appropriate tools and equipment to join metal parts using a range of mechanical fasteners and fixing techniques required by the specifications appropriate to the fabrication activity being carried out and in accordance with approved joining procedures and quality requirements.
- Develop the ability to operate thermal joining equipment to join metal parts using a range of appropriate techniques to the standards required by the specifications for the fabrication activity being carried out.
- Learn how to inspect and test joins for security against required standard.
- Learn how to carry out quality checks on component parts and completed assemblies.
- Learn how to deal with problems that occur within the fabrication activity in line with responsibilities of the role.
- Develop the ability to restore the work area and equipment to a safe and reliable condition on completion of the activity.
- Complete documentation at the appropriate stages of the work activity.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Hold a Level 2 Diploma in Performing Engineering Operations or a relevant field.
- Hold a minimum a of GCSE grade C/4, National 5 (or Equivalent) in Mathematics and English.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to use your own initiative and a strong drive to succeed are all essential.
- Enthusiasm and determination to learn.
- Self-starter and motivated person.
- Ability to get on with colleagues and customers.
- Commitment to upholding high health and safety standards.
- Responsibility, reliability and dedication.
Key Interpersonal/Behavioral Skills:
- Ability to establish an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal.
- Effectiveness in identifying possible problems for upward reporting/investigation.
- Ability to express ideas or facts in a clear manner.
- Professional and pro-active work ethic.
To apply please fill in an application form and send it to email@example.com.