Please note: This position requires a Level 2 in Engineering Operations if you do not have this you will complete its prior to level 3. Please see the attached Level 2 Engineering Operations Job Description for details.
The Apprenticeship Manager and Apprenticeship Supervisor
Working with metals to create high-strength welds in 2 welding positions, using at least 1 arc welding process in order to
support production at Harland & Wolff.
What will you learn doing this apprenticeship:
• Gain hands-on experience through a safe workplace placement, providing vocational training and education.
• Practical on the job training.
• One-to-one dedicated mentoring.
• Shipyard training facilities.
• Opportunity to earn while you learn.
There are numerous pathways for General Welders who may wish to pursue higher level careers in welding. These include
progression to Multi-Positional Welder, High Integrity Welder or Welding Instruction and Teaching, Welding Inspection and Managing and Supervising Welding Operations.
• Learn how to produce good quality welds using two welding process/material type combinations (TIG, MMA, MIG/MAG, FCAW) and (Carbon and Low Alloy steel, High Alloy Ferritic/Martensitic Steel, Austenitic Stainless Steel, Nickel and Nickel Alloys, Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys) in two welding positions (Downhand, Horizontal, Vertical, Overhead).
• Attain a qualification in accordance with one of the following standards: ISO 9606 / ASME IX / BS4872 / AWS D1.1 (these qualifications are regarded as licences to practice in welding).
• Achieve a quality of work to meet international standards for dimensional and surface inspection (Visual, Magnetic Particle Inspection and Dye Penetrant Inspection).
• Learn the proper procedure in positioning, preparing and checking the welding equipment.
• Learn the proper procedure in receiving, handling and maintaining consumables.
• Learn how to prepare, check and protect materials and work area ready for welding.
• Learn to complete and check the finished weld ready for inspection and report into the production control system.
• Ensure that health and safety requirements are fully accounted for in all the above.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Hold a Level 2 Diploma in Performing Engineering Operations or a relevant field.
• Hold a minimum a of GCSE grade C/4, National 5 (or Equivalent) in Mathematics and English
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to use your own initiative and a strong drive to succeed are all essential.
• Enthusiasm for welding and a determination to learn.
• Self-starter and motivated person.
• Ability to get on with colleagues and customers.
• Commitment to upholding high health and safety standards.
• Responsibility, reliability and dedication.
Key Interpersonal/Behavioral Skills:
• Ability to establish an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal.
• Effectiveness in identifying possible problems for upward reporting/investigation.
• Ability to express ideas or facts in a clear manner.
• Professional and pro-active work ethic.
To apply please fill in an application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.